Google
 

Sunday 14 October 2007

Broadband on Confusion - Episode 1

1
Since I had terminated my M1 Broadband, I had to look for an alternative. Starhub and SingTel also had island-wide wireless broadband.
1
Starhub has the fastest network, and it's unlimited. But it's also the most expensive. MaxOnline subscribers enjoy 50% off though. But still expensive.
1
That leaves me with SingTel's Broadband on Mobile. Their network speeds are the same as M1's. Their coverage is not quite evenly spread but it's much better than M1's. I'm getting 5 bars for SingTel's 3.5G network.
1
When I was using M1, I only had 2 bars. Asked M1 why is this so, since I'm staying at quite a high floor. M1 told me for 3/3.5G network, the higher you are, the weaker the signal. Issit ???
1
Anyway, I'm now getting 5 bars from SingTel. Probably could be because I'm now using the USB modem instead of the PC Card.
1
1
So why the confusion ?
1
1
When your company is offering a promotion, wouldn't it be critical that your front line staff be aware ?
1
Was looking through their price plan and noticed that Singnet Broadband subscribers enjoy a 30% discount. When I called their customer service to enquire, the customer service officer was not even aware there is such a promotion. I had to direct her to her own company's promotion.
1
She then said that the promotion was under Singnet. (Tai Chi 1st movement - 'slowly push the incoming force away from yourself. better if can push it to another target')
1
Ok lor. Called SingNet. This time lagi better. When I enquired about the promotion, put me on hold for 10mins. (Tai Chi 2nd movement - 'try to run around opponent without doing anything, hoping that opponent will give up)
1
I perservered and overcame the 2nd movement. She replied that the promotion was under SingTel. Ha ! Trying to use the 1st movement on me. I quickly countered the movement. Told her SingTel asked me to call SingNet. Told her to better get someone who knows the promotion to answer me. She was cornered !
1
She quickly strike out with the 3rd movement - deflect incoming arrows to unsuspecting colleague. This movement is slightly more difficult to execute than the 1st movement. Was put on hold again but only for 5 mins this time.
1
Another officer came on and she was finally able to answer my simple query. But she said that to enjoy the discount, I would need to be a new SingNet Broadband subscriber. Wah ! Tai Chi 4th movement - overwhelm opponent with terms and conditions.
1
Luckily, I countered with my 'it's not stated anywhere on your website' move. I won this round again.
1
Not to be outdone, she kept her most lethal move for the last. She let fly her 'You have to upgrade your mobile phone's SIM card to a 3G SIM card, and that will be $18' move (my SIM card was still the old 2G one). I was floored. My energy was zapped 50%.
1
Told her I was getting the Huawei USB modem, so why need to upgrade my mobile phone's SIM card, since the numbers would be different. Again, she executed the 4th movement. Sensing that I would be fighting a losing battle, I executed the 36th movement - Run. But not before I threw back a 'what kind of policy is that ?' She was knocked back abit and executed the 'I'll waive off the upgrade fee of $18' movement.
1
Anyway, all that was before I went down to Westmall to subscribe for the plan. When I was there, the officer told me it was not necessary to upgrade my mobile's SIM card. Upgraded anyway since it was going to be free.
1
Thought that my fight with 3 consecutive Tai Chi masters was finally over.
1
1
Or so I thought.......
1
1
1
(to be continued...)
1

No comments: